Recipe to Smile About: Tomato Basil Soup
Last week I made a recipe that had everyone at the table smiling. A homemade tomato basil soup that was easy to make, easier to clean up, had my kids asking for seconds, and a low-cost meal enjoyed by all!
Actually, to go a step further, this meal earned me the “Best Mom of the Week” 🏆💁♀️ award. Yup, you read that right. The title was only given for a week (and by Friday, it was already taken away because of some parenting rules I enforced). But hey, given the track record of the past 12 months, I’ll take it!
Since I believe we can all use more reason to smile these days, I’m sharing this recipe with you.
Easy – Peasy Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 – 28 oz can no salt added peeled tomatoes
- 1 – 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil and garlic
- 1 – 14.5 oz can no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 large fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
- Dice and mince onion and garlic cloves, if you have a food processor, I suggest using this to dice your onions.
- Heat 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook about 7 to 10 minutes, until soft.
- Add the canned tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and tomato sauce to the pot, increase the heat to medium-high and cook, frequently stirring, for about 15 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 10 large basil leaves, and season with black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Purée the soup until smooth or to desired consistency. It is suggested to use an immersion blender. However, I used the food processor, and a standard blender will also work. If using a food processor or blender, work in small batches.
Viola! Ready to serve!
Bonus Smiles: Tomato Basil Mozzarella Grilled Cheese
- 1 tsp butter (opt for plant-based butter such as avocado butter for lower saturated fat intake)
- 2 slices whole-grain bread such as Dave’s Killer Bread
- 1 oz mozzarella cheese
- 1 fresh tomato, sliced
- 2 basil leaves
- Pepper to taste
Top bread with cheese, add tomato, and basil—season with black pepper and top with the remaining slice of bread.
Heat 1 tsp butter over medium heat, add sandwich, and cook until lightly browned, flipping to cook on both sides.
When you make this recipe, post a pic and tag on Foodspirations on Facebook and Instagram for a chance to win a SAVOR print!